Marriage License

Licenses are issued by Vermont town clerks. If both parties are Vermont residents, you may go to any town clerk in the State of Vermont.  If neither party is a Vermont resident, you may get the license from any town clerk in the state. In Cabot, one party must be present to sign the marriage license and provide proof of identity.

The license costs $60, and is valid for 60 days from the date it is issued. During that time period, an authorized person must perform your wedding ceremony — otherwise, the license is void. A certified copy of the marriage certificate is available for $10/copy.

Besides basic information about yourselves (names, towns of residence, places and dates of birth), you must also provide your parents’ names, including your mothers’ birth (maiden) names, and their places of birth. (Certified copies of your birth certificates can supply most of this information).

The law requires that town clerks satisfy themselves that you are both free to marry under Vermont laws. Therefore, they may legally ask to see documented proof of your statements (birth certificates, divorce/dissolution decrees, death certificates, etc.). You will also be asked to provide the number of previous marriages and civil unions, and how and when they ended. This information is confidential and does not become part of the marriage certificate.

Additional Information:
Getting Married in Vermont
Temporary Officiant Info
Justice of the Peace Guide